Here are some tips and tricks from a recent social media post sharing some home remedies to help get rid of various common fungus. Don’t forget, you can always go to your vet for a prescription or advice!
To Get Rid of Girth Itch/ Sweat Itch:
• Dry horse in the sun, lightly spray very diluted bleach
on cinch after a ride and let it dry in the sun, then use
Micro-Tek shampoo on the horse.
• Hose off horse really well, apply athletes foot cream
with Tinactin/ Monostate cream to area. You can also
spray Listerine on the horse before adding one of the
• Wash horse in vinegar and soap mix every other
• Use a topical solution like diluted Synbiont and leave
it sit on the whole horse, or just the areas you need.
You can also apply one of these products:
To Get Rid of “scratches”/ Mud Fever:
• Apply sauerkraut to the area and wrap it on hoof for
a few days.
• Apply Extra strength Desitin
• Apply MTG to area
• Apply Hay Whats That Blue Stuff and A&D cream
• Put Vaseline on the area and wrap in saran wrap and
vet wrap. Leave for 3 days to suffocate the fungus off.
Warning: it smells awful when you take it off.
• Apply bacon grease to scratches and wrap hoof/