From: Weatherford, TX
- Modine Smith Humanitarian Award
- 2015 NCHA Open Futurity Reserve Champion
- 2015 San Antonio Stock Show Open Derby Champion on Adelle
- 2015 NCHA Super Stakes Reserve Champion on Adelle
- 2000 NCHA Open World Champion on Bet Yer Blue Boons
- 1980 NCHA Open Futurity Champion on Miss Royal Mahogany
- 1979 NCHA Open Futurity Reserve Champion on Diamond Mystery
Top Three Horses Trained
- Bet Yer Blue Boons
- Louellas Cat
How I got started: When I first saw cutting I was 13 and wanted to be involved because everything about it appealed to me. When you ride a cutting horse you’re not a dictator, you’re a partner. I’m not telling the horse what to do, the horse is an equal in reading that cow.
Biggest mistake I’ve made in cutting: I don’t think I have made any mistakes. I have no regrets.
Biggest myth about cutting: I believe great cutting horses are born not made. But I think you have to develop them and stay out of their way so they can reach their potential.
Favorite quote: “Cutting is a contest between a cutting horse and a cow. And the rider has the best seat in the house.” – Buster Welch
Most memorable moment in cutting: Marking the high score on Bet Yer Blue Boons, a 333 in 1998 which was held for 12 years until Phil Rapp broke it on Don’t Look Twice and I was herd holding for him.
Training philosophy: I try to develop a horse to their own potential. I don’t pattern a horse. I think every horse has a certain potential and it’s my responsibility to reach it. You have to adapt to the horse, not adapt the horse to the trainer. Not all horses will peak when they are three. Sometimes people give up on a horse too early, they just need a little more time.