From: Eagle Point, OR
Phone: (541) 778-0980
Money WonNRHA: $1.8 Million NRCHA: $1.6 Million
- NRHA, NRCHA Futurity Champion and Reserve Champion x10
- 2015 NRHA Open Derby Champion: Platinum Vintage
- 2014 NRCHA Open Stakes Champion: This One Time
- 2012 Equistat No 1 Leading Rider of Reining, Working Cow & Cutting Horses
- 2012 NRCHA Bridle Spectacular Champion: Smart Luck
- 2006 NRCHA Derby Champion: Sum Irish Rose
- 2002 NRCHA Derby Champion: Nic It In The Bud
- 2001 NRCHA Snaf e Bit Futurity Champion: Boonlight Dancer
- 1998 NRHA Futurity Champion: Chic Please
- 1995 NRHA Derby Champion: Lean With Me
Top Three Horses Trained
- Smart Luck
- Chic Please
- Nick It In The Bud
How I got started: I started showing in 4H as a kid and then went to breed shows here you had to learn how to show all types of horses. I’m not from a horse family so I learned from a lot of guys. It wasn’t until I spent time as an assistant trainer to Bob Avila that I learned about training reining and cow horses.
Biggest mistake I’ve made training horses: Not trusting myself or the training I had done at home when it came to competition.
Biggest myth about cutting: That there is a secret method or bridle! There is no magic, it’s consistency, and repetition that produces success.
Favorite quote: “In your training, try and gain 1% every day.”
Most memorable moment in cutting: Winning the Reining Futurity in 1995 when I was still an assistant trainer to Bob Avila.
Training philosophy: Consistency is what makes a solid horse.