Preview: Colt Starting: Teaching A Young Horse To Handle Pressure.
There is a big difference between starting a young horse for recreational riding versus a horse going into the competitive world of the performance horse industry! The performance horse needs to dig deep, handle pressure and don’t become so desensitized that they are dull. Travis shows you how he uses the flag to help a horse handle pressure without scaring him but getting control of his feet which in turn controls their mind. Here are some of the learning points:
- Teach them to respect that you too have a bubble that they can only come into when you ask them.
- Be aware how the horse leaves you not just approaches you.
- Make sure you have your halter prepared before you try to catch them.
- How to desensitize with the flag and how much you should desensitize.
- Make sure you check out their blind spots before you get on otherwise that can get you bucked off.
- They have to accept the flag above them with their feet moving NOT just when hobbled or standing still.
- How to prepare a horse for the hobbles.
- Why it’s very important to let a horse pause and think before you move on to the next task.
- Plus loads more