- This event has passed.
Michael Cooper Clinic
March 17, 2018 @ 8:00 am - March 18, 2018 @ 4:00 pm
This is a unique opportunity to be personally coached by one of cutting’s top trainers for two days in a fun environment. The maximum number of participants will be limited to 12, giving riders all the personal attention they need to learn directly from Michael Cooper. The clinic will be held at High Tension Ranch, Weatherford, TX on March 17-18th. Plenty of fresh cattle will be supplied. All participants will come away with a personal plan from Michael to help them achieve their specific goals in cutting. Spectators are welcome, click HERE to register.
Two full days of riding and instruction on cattle including:
- Small Clinic Size – You will be one of 12 participants in this clinic, giving you all the time and attention you need with Michael to make major improvements.
- Fresh Cattle – Participants will have plenty of fresh cattle supplied to practice what they are learning.
- No downtime – There will be no time for boredom at this clinic. You will either be riding, practicing, watching Michael or your fellow participants.
- Goal Setting Plan – Michael help each participant take their showing to the next level but discussing their goals and working out a plan to achieve it.
- Socialize With Michael – Relax over a cool drink and delicious meals and get to know one of cutting’s great trainers. Chat, ask questions and have a laugh with Michael and other participants throughout the two days. It’s an experience you’ll never forget!
How I got started: My cousin was working for Kenneth Galyean, when I was 13 and we went and rode his cutting horses when he wasn’t home. I was hooked. From 16 onwards I started all types of colts for the public and worked all the horses on any animal I could find even though none of them were going to be cutting horses. In 1998 I finally decided to quit my landscaping job in Missouri and bought 80 acres to start training cutting horses. I have never worked for a trainer but I bought every video out there like Matt Gaines and Paul Hansma, and would go to the practice pen at every cutting and study all of the good guys. Larry Bilow and Donnie O’Brien helped me initially.
Biggest mistake I’ve made in cutting: I got mad at my wife (Jennifer) in the practice pen one day and she stopped and said “I believe I’m your only turnback help” and stepped off her horse threw the reins at me and went to the house. I have never been mad at my turnback help since.
Biggest myth about cutting: That it’s easy. You’ve got to have a lot of things come together on the day to win.
Favorite quote: “Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.” – military saying
Most memorable moment in cutting: Being second at the 2009 NCHA Futurity because it was the 4th time I had shown there.
Training philosophy: Get up with a clear mind everyday and hold no grudges. Work harder and smarter than anyone else.
Candlewood Inn & Suites 215 Alford Dr, Weatherford, TX 76087. Phone: (817) 599-9999
Fairfield Inn & Suites 175 Alford Dr, Weatherford, TX 76086. Phone: (817) 599-4040
Best Western, 210 Alford Dr, Weatherford, TX 76087. Phone: (817) 599-3300